Friday, April 1, 2011

For the Love of Demi-Glace

Wednesday, Jon had a day off from work, and that means,  super special dinner!!! He made a fantastic meal, which as I later found out, took two days to do!  We had hanger steak and barley risotto (with spinach & mushrooms-- my favorite vegetable combination) and demi-glace.  The secret to excellent steak is that Jon puts our cast iron frying pan in the oven at 475 for 20 min, getting it so hot, that it creates that magical sear, about 2 min on a side, then finish in the oven to the temp you like. (we are rare meat eaters!)


Ohhh demi-glace how I love you.  Demi-glace is this amazing thick sauce that packs so much flavor, it’s like dripping a delicious cow all over your steak.  What I didn’t know, is how long and difficult demi-glace is to make, 2-days! 

Demi glace (as explained by Jon) takes 36 hours to make.  You start by making a beef stock in a large pot (or dutch oven) with beef bones (for a technical demi glace you are supposed to use veal bones-- but Jon cheated a bit) with a magnum of red wine, vegetables (carrots, onions, celery).  Simmer for 12 hours.  Then strain out the beef bones and vegtables.  Over medium heat, cook the reduced stock for 4-6 hours until thick and creamy (about 2 cups)  So freaking yummy!!!! What’s also cool is that it solidifies when not over heat, so in my fridge I have a little container of solid brown yumminess!  For ultimate storage, store in an ice cube tray, then you have easy access and single size servings of demi-glace.

Follow this link for technical instructions (Jon uses this method): Homemade Demi-Glace Recipe

To top it off, we finished with the finale of Top Chef Season 8!  Richard won, it was really not that much of a surprise… Mike (whom Gawker calls Pizza the Hut! Seriously, that makes me laugh every time) just wasn’t up to Richard’s level.  Although I am not a big fan of Richard myself, seriously, the guy always whips out the liquid nitrogen, he is a good chef.  Congrats Richard, no more cooking burgers for you!

So now that Jon is back to work until Tuesday, I will be eating sauteed spinach and mushrooms and veggie buffalo wings (don’t knock 'em until you try them.)  Jon on the other hand, will consist on a ham sandwich and chips, each day.  It’s every man for himself Thursday - Monday in the Soule / Wallace house.  Jon has his ham & I have my veggie wings.  Although, I will whip up something fancy for Sunday dinner…

And for all you pizza lovers out there, the next post will have Jon & Jessica's secret pizza crust recipe! Friday night pizza night baby... now that's delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! Ok, your blog will now serve as my summertime cookbook.

    ReplyDelete